Wednesday, November 14, 2012

More than a File Folder: Up, Down, Open, Closed

It's no secret that I absolutely loved my job as a teacher,
even if it was only for a year and not at the best or most organized school.
My students and their growth was what mattered to me.
I think I put more of my heart, soul, and dedication into that one year
with my twenty-two students than I ever had with anything else in my life.
That is, until my beautiful daughter, Emma Claire, was born.
I may only dedicate my heart and soul to one child (soon to be two)
these days, but it is driven by a much stronger force than I ever had in the classroom:
the unconditional love for my own child and the great pride I feel 
as I watch her grow, learn, develop, and succeed.
Of course I cared for my students and loved watching them progress
throughout the school year, but nothing compares to sharing in your own child's joy
as they reach another milestone, learn a new skill, and grasp another concept.
The emotions that swell up inside me as I watch Emma discover new things 
and say new words is indescribable.  As most parents probably do, I think she is absolutely brilliant. 
She truly amazes me with her intelligence, her curiosity, her excitement, and her love.
She is my greatest passion and although I may never be a teacher in a classroom again,
because of her I am a teacher every minute of every single day.

My one tiny student was the inspiration and motivation behind the creation of this activity...

I wanted to create something to help Emma start to understand the basic concepts of
up and down, open and closed.  I wanted it to be interactive and kid friendly.
I wanted it to be made from basic materials found around the house.
I wanted it to be something that could easily be taken in the car or on a plane.
I wanted it to be colorful and to contain items that she could recognize.
I think I accomplished all of these things with the following items:
- file folders
- crayons/markers
-velcro
- ribbon
- scissors
- glue
    

Emma can open and close the door
and move the kite up and down. 

Up and closed


I really wanted white or tan velcro, 
but of course black was all there was at the PX.
I will just have to live with the big ugly black patches.

Down and open

Here's Emma checking it out for the first time. 



I plan on making a whole series of these, all of which focus on different concepts.
I think we are going to have a lot of fun with these.         

Raising Imperfection
  The Life Of Faith

MightyCrafty.me

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute project! I have a book similar for Reagan but I didn't make it..so props to you!
    Way to go mommy!!

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection Sunday Link Up.
    Please come back tomorrow to see if you were featured!

    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea! I love that you made it yourself too. Thanks so much for linking up to Raising Imperfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is this! I love how you put your inner teacher to work with your child, you are such a great mother! Thanks for sharing and linking up with us for Mommy Moments Monday!
    TheNotQuiteMilitaryWife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very cute and useful project! Pinned and loved. Thank you for sharing at MightyCrafty Mondays!

    ReplyDelete